- Mulch all garden pathways now to help suppress weeds
- Turn under green manure crops
- Top dress beds with compost or well-rotted manure
- Add rock fertilizer to perennial beds
- Remove winter mulch from roses; fertilize near the end of the month
- Prune winter damaged cane from roses
- Prune hibiscus, buddleia and other shrubs that bloom on new growth
- Prune blueberry bushes, bramble fruits and grape vines before they break dormancy
- Feed fruit trees with compost, well rotted manure and rock fertilizer
- Prune fruit, nut and shade trees before dormancy ends.
- Use dormant oil spray to help control scale on trees and shrubs.
- Run a germination check on stored vegetable seeds before indoor sowing.
- Prepare a soil mix for starting seeds and raising vegetable and annual flower transplants indoors.
- As weather warms near the end of the month, rake mulch off one bed to prepare for planting spring greens and onions.
- Rake the lawn near the end of the month.